CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   how would you repair or save a nice lace knitted cotton shirt (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108519)

mirjam April 23rd 10 05:41 AM

how would you repair or save a nice lace knitted cotton shirt

How would you save /repair a nice lace knitted cotton shirt ?
i am looking at it i could `only` reknit` the hem ? but it will show
as this shirt has been worn and washed a lot , i could jut fold the
hem or i could sew some ribbon around it or knit some other lace ???
any ideas?
mirjam

Olwyn.Mary April 23rd 10 10:17 PM

mirjam wrote:
How would you save /repair a nice lace knitted cotton shirt ?
i am looking at it i could `only` reknit` the hem ? but it will show
as this shirt has been worn and washed a lot , i could jut fold the
hem or i could sew some ribbon around it or knit some other lace ???
any ideas?
mirjam

I need some more details before I can suggest anything What, exactly,
is wrong? What color is it? What style? What thickness of yarn?

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Olwyn.Mary April 24th 10 02:46 AM

Olwyn.Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:

How would you save /repair a nice lace knitted cotton shirt ?
i am looking at it i could `only` reknit` the hem ? but it will show
as this shirt has been worn and washed a lot , i could jut fold the
hem or i could sew some ribbon around it or knit some other lace ???
any ideas?
mirjam

I need some more details before I can suggest anything What, exactly,
is wrong? What color is it? What style? What thickness of yarn?

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

On further reflection...................could you perhaps add a
crocheted border to the hem, if that is where the problem lies? If you
have an appropriate yarn, you could perhaps do that plus add a similar
border to neckline and sleeve hems so that it looks planned, not added.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

King's Crown[_3_] April 24th 10 07:43 AM

"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message
Olwyn.Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:

How would you save /repair a nice lace knitted cotton shirt ?
i am looking at it i could `only` reknit` the hem ? but it will show
as this shirt has been worn and washed a lot , i could jut fold the
hem or i could sew some ribbon around it or knit some other lace ???
any ideas?
mirjam

I need some more details before I can suggest anything What, exactly, is
wrong? What color is it? What style? What thickness of yarn?

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

On further reflection...................could you perhaps add a crocheted
border to the hem, if that is where the problem lies? If you have an
appropriate yarn, you could perhaps do that plus add a similar border to
neckline and sleeve hems so that it looks planned, not added.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe even crocheting around the sleeves
also... to tie it all together.

Lynne

LindaLee April 24th 10 07:40 PM

On Apr 24, 2:43*am, "King's Crown" wrote:
"Olwyn.Mary" wrote in message

Olwyn.Mary wrote:
mirjam wrote:

[...]

Lynne- Hide quoted text -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It would depend on where the worn spots are. I like the idea of
adding to it even if you have to cut some of it off and attach the new
yarn and color.

mirjam April 25th 10 05:20 AM

how would you repair or save a nice lace knitted cotton shirt

Thank you all for helping me think.
While the shirt is still beautiful [esp the lacy knit] it has lost a
lot of it`s original color, luckily it faded all over in the same
degree, but even if i could find the original thread [from 20+ years
ago !!], it won`t be much help.
The main dammage is the frayed under edge. as well as having lost
the elasticity of the hem.
I am not sure if ripping only the hem and reknitting it would work
well , as it has been washed a lot and i am not sure how this kind of
cotton will react /behave ,,, Thus i think i will take with me to the
shop and look at the threads available and than decide,,,
Lately i have finnished several knits with a lacy edge ??? i might go
there , i will let you all know what i decided ,,
mirjam

LindaLee April 25th 10 02:18 PM

On Apr 25, 12:20*am, mirjam wrote:
Thank you all for helping me think.
While the shirt is still beautiful [esp the lacy knit] it has lost a
lot of it`s original color, luckily it faded all over in the same
degree, but *even if i could find the original thread [from 20+ years
ago !!], it won`t be much help.
* The main dammage is the frayed under edge. as well as having lost
the elasticity of the hem.
I am not sure if ripping only the hem and reknitting it would work
well , as it has been washed a lot and i am not sure how this kind of
cotton will react /behave ,,, Thus i think i will take with me to the
shop and look at the threads available and than decide,,,
Lately i have finnished several knits with a lacy edge ??? i might go
there , i will let you all know what i decided ,,
mirjam

Can you recycle it into something else such as a tote bag or pillow
with a fabric underneath?

mirjam April 26th 10 03:02 PM

how would you repair or save a nice lace knitted cotton shirt

Can you recycle it into something else such as a tote bag or pillow
with a fabric underneath?

Thank you Linda that is a wonderful idea,,,,,, mirjam