CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   taking health risks seriously , silicosis (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17051)

Christina Marriott July 6th 03 03:03 PM

taking health risks seriously , silicosis

After potting for nearly 20 years and not taking enough care with my old gas
kiln,
I have inhaled rather allot of silica over the years,this has affected my
breathing , tomorrow I get the results of my chest x-ray.
Spare yourselves a lot of anxiety ,and make sure you don't get into this
situation in the first place, by using adequate protection .

best wishes to fellow potters
Christina

GaSeku July 6th 03 06:06 PM

Christina,
I hope your xrays will show that everything is all right.
Gaye

Cee White July 8th 03 05:57 PM

I hope your damage is minimal if any at all. I was as careless and
unknowing as you. Some 30 years ago, I happily fired lead glazes in my
electric kiln in my basement. While it fired, I worked alongside it
never aware of toxins. I stirred glazes with my bare hands. This was
all done in absolute ignorance of danger.

Catherine in Yuma, AZ
Two electric kilns out on the patio.