CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   crystals in tumbler? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=426)

RA July 23rd 03 12:41 AM

crystals in tumbler?

Is it ok to put silver jewelry with swarovski crystals into a tumbler with
stainless steel shot?
thanks!

Barbara Forbes-Lyons July 23rd 03 01:28 AM

I would think not - the shot would chip/break all the facets in the crystal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeads:penguintrax

0
/O\

Dr. Sooz July 23rd 03 01:37 AM

I would think not - the shot would chip/break all the facets in the crystal.

I think Barbara's right. Crystal is strong, but too brittle for tumbling with
shot.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Christina Peterson July 23rd 03 02:57 AM

I thought crystal was definitely stronger.

Tina

"vj" wrote in message well, SO FAR all of my glass has
gone through the tumbler okay.

but i admit i haven't tried it with the Swarovski. crystal is more
fragile than glass.

KatieLiz11 July 23rd 03 04:22 AM

Is it ok to put silver jewelry with swarovski crystals into a tumbler with
stainless steel shot? thanks!

Cisco does chainmaille and I know that she uses crystals in some of her work
and I know that she also tumbles with stainless steel shot. Here's a link to
some of her jewelry and theres a link at the bottom of the page to email her.

http://members.aol.com/beadwear/Beadwear/chains.htm

~~ KatieLiz ~~
http://www.beadweaverdreams.com

C Ryman July 23rd 03 05:50 PM

I think fused glass can stand maybe an hour of shot tumbling.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio
. net...

Dr. Sooz July 23rd 03 05:56 PM

I save all of the info anyway for
future reference. Someday I'll have enough saved post to open an RCB
library!)

There is one already. I'd be happy to send it to you in an attachment!
Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z

Christina Peterson July 23rd 03 07:53 PM

With PMC we tumbled both fused class and lab created stones that were fired
in the silver. I'm sure a crystal would have been fine; I would not have
hesitated. My only question is whether a rotory tumbler would be any harder
on it than a vibrating tumbler was.

A natural crystal (rock) is full of plains and will chip. But I am quite
sure the lead that's added to glass to make crystal makes it much stronger.
Which is why they can makes such fine, thin stemware.

Tina

"C Ryman" wrote in message
I think fused glass can stand maybe an hour of shot tumbling.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio
www.eclecticbeadery.com