CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Square needles (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=74312)

Midwest poster August 22nd 06 09:52 PM

Square needles

See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting description. Has
anyone ever tried them?

--
Jan in MN

Wooly August 23rd 06 12:10 AM

Square needles

I'd think triangular would make for a better "perfect fit". My
all-time favorite pencils are the triangular art pencils I find
occasionally at Tschatschky Hell, er, Hobby Lobby.

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:52:34 GMT, "Midwest poster"
spewed forth :

See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting description. Has
anyone ever tried them?

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Georgia August 23rd 06 12:46 AM

Square needles

How odd--I was just thinking about square needles yesterday, and wondering
what it would be like to knit on them. I expect you'd have to figure out
your gauges all over again.

Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net/html/knitting.htm
**stay tuned for a new FO!**

"Midwest poster" wrote in message
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting description.

Has
anyone ever tried them?

--
Jan in MN

August 23rd 06 12:57 AM

Square needles

1. Palm is a nice needle material. Palm needles in any shape are going to
be very nice - and expensive.
2. Square works better at larger sizes and with softer yarns. Larger sizes
minimize CTS, pinch problems. At larger needles sizes, palm is heavy.
3. Square does not work as well with smaller needles, tighter gauges, or
more firmly spun yarns.

I made 1 triangular needle. I made a few square DPN, and today, every
knitting needle in my stash is round. Square needles are easy to make, but I
found round to be worth the extra effort.

If you want square needles, you can buy the wooden blanks that they sell for
turning pens, and taper the tips yourself.

Aaron

Katherine August 23rd 06 08:42 PM

Square needles

Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone tried
them, too.

Higs,
Katherine

suzee August 23rd 06 08:54 PM

Square needles

Katherine wrote:
Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone tried
them, too.

They had them on PBS's Needle Arts Studio today. I'd imagine they'd take
some getting used to. Especially if they're all 14" like the ones they
demonstrated are.

sue

Aud August 23rd 06 09:31 PM

Square needles

"Wooly" skrev i melding
I'd think triangular would make for a better "perfect fit". My
all-time favorite pencils are the triangular art pencils I find
occasionally at Tschatschky Hell, er, Hobby Lobby.

I was curious over the square needles.
But after have read your message, I agreee with you, Wooly!
Triangle pencils are perfect for me!

But I have one second thought, though.
We hold pencils another way than a knitting needle?
I coudn't find a triangle pencil to "try out" LOL!
AUD ;-)

Midwest poster August 24th 06 02:05 AM

Square needles

"suzee" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Katherine wrote:
Midwest poster wrote:
See http://kollageyarns.com/needles.php for an interesting
description. Has anyone ever tried them?

Well, they are odd looking, aren't they? I'd like to know if anyone

tried
them, too.

They had them on PBS's Needle Arts Studio today. I'd imagine they'd take
some getting used to. Especially if they're all 14" like the ones they
demonstrated are.

sue

These are 11" needles

--
Jan in MN

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen August 24th 06 06:12 AM

Square needles

Ladies what is a traingle pencil ???
mirjam
wrote:

"Wooly" skrev i melding
.. .

Aud August 24th 06 08:02 AM

Square needles

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" skrev i melding
Ladies what is a traingle pencil ???
mirjam

wrote:

It is pencil which is not round, but formed like a triangle, so you can
get a better "grab" on it. It will not "slip" in your fingers.
(I know that sites with pictures are heavy to download, but here is a
link:
http://www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Fab...Grip_2001.html )
AUD ;-))