CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   water in kiln?? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17756)

dvd September 23rd 04 07:38 PM

water in kiln??

have you heard anything about introducing water into the gaz kiln to obtein
special effects??

Slgraber September 24th 04 03:17 AM

i think i heard of that, or read about it 12 years ago or so. providing some
level of reduction assistance somehow.

not really successful or we'd all know more about it.

steve

Subject: water in kiln??
From: "dvd"
Date: 9/23/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time
have you heard anything about introducing water into the gaz kiln to obtein
special effects??

steve graber

Russell Andavall September 24th 04 08:41 PM

Take it from me... Its a good way to blow the door out... Water turns
into steam and builds up pressure at the top of a kiln door... and there
you have just how a kiln door falls down... now the real trick here is
to convince the kiln fairies to pick up the red hot bricks and rebuild
the door... its a great way to cool the kiln down in a few hours, but
its rather hard on the kiln shelves and brick, let alone the potter...
Russ

From: "dvd"
Date: 9/23/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Slgraber September 25th 04 07:00 PM

sounds like a "blunder" topic to me...

but how'd the pots come out?

steve

From: "dvd"

Date: 9/23/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time
have you heard anything about introducing water into the gaz kiln to obtein
special effects??

steve graber

--------------050808020209090008020802

head title/title/headTake it from me... Its a good way to blow the
door out... Water turns intosteam and builds up pressure at the top of a kiln
door... and there you havejust how a kiln door falls down... now the real
trick here is to convincethe kiln fairies to pick up the red hot bricks and
rebuild the door... itsa great way to cool the kiln down in a few hours, but
its rather hard onthe kiln shelves and brick, let alone the potter...
Russ

Slgraber wrote:
blockquote type="cite"
" i think i heard of
that, or read about it 12 years ago or so. providing some
level of reduction assistance somehow.

not really successful or we'd all know more about it.

steve

blockquote type="cite" Subject: water in kiln??
From: "dvd"

Date: 9/23/2004 11:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time
have you heard anything about introducing water into the gaz kiln to obtein
special effects??

/blockquote !----

steve graber
/blockquote

dvd September 26th 04 02:36 PM

see www.jeangirel.com he's a great ceramits and he use this way of
firing...

apart, i had found one time in internet, but i don't remenber where, someone
who builds his kiln (great kiln like an anagama..) with conductions for
water inside!!

david