CraftBanter

-   -   Suggestions wanted (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=86788)

Julia in MN August 27th 07 03:59 PM

Suggestions wanted

I am currently at hand quilting a wall hanging applqued with desert
"things". I have quilted around all the applique motifs and the sashing.
I am working on the borders now. I'm not sure how to quilt the
background of the blocks. I am considering either echo-quilting around
each of the applique motifs or doing a diagonal grid. What do you think?
There are pictures and a description of my dilemma at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Quilts2007

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Sandy August 27th 07 04:41 PM

Suggestions wanted

In article ,
Julia in MN wrote:

I am currently at hand quilting a wall hanging applqued with desert
"things". I have quilted around all the applique motifs and the sashing.
I am working on the borders now. I'm not sure how to quilt the
background of the blocks. I am considering either echo-quilting around
each of the applique motifs or doing a diagonal grid. What do you think?
There are pictures and a description of my dilemma at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Quilts2007

Julia in MN

Julia, that's really a pretty quilt! It has lots of curves in it,
though, so I'd be tempted to do a diagonal grid in the background to set
off the curves of the appliqués. JMHO. :)

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)

Patti August 27th 07 05:08 PM

Suggestions wanted

Could you do one row of echo quilting, say a quarter of an inch away
from the appliqué? and then do the diagonal grid? I just think that a
grid right up to the appliqué might be a stark/sudden?
Also, I did one wallhanging with echo quilting right from the appliqué
to the edge and I didn't like it at all - so I am only speaking from my
own experience. I had fewer appliqué pieces, and I used the colour of
the background, but even so.

(You did just give us two options! but, the first thought that came to
my mind was sand dunes, and the various curves that they make.)
..
In message , Sandy
writes
Julia, that's really a pretty quilt! It has lots of curves in it,
though, so I'd be tempted to do a diagonal grid in the background to set
off the curves of the appliqués. JMHO. :)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

polly esther August 27th 07 05:10 PM

Suggestions wanted

Before you decide, Julia, could you test suggestions by drawing them on
something like plastic wrap such as Glad's Press and Seal? Then you could
try them on without actually stitching. The reason I'm asking is that I
would really like to see what would happen if you quilted lines that looked
like heat rising; something like Karen McTavish's flames. I must be in a
'artsy' mood this morning; maybe it's the moon. Polly

Sandy Ellison August 27th 07 10:22 PM

Suggestions wanted

Howdy!

Eat dessert first.

(well, she did want "suggestions", right?) g

Yeah, what Pat says.

R/Sandy

On 8/27/07 11:08 AM, in article , "Patti"
wrote:

Could you do one row of echo quilting, say a quarter of an inch away
from the appliqué? and then do the diagonal grid? I just think that a
grid right up to the appliqué might be a stark/sudden?
Also, I did one wallhanging with echo quilting right from the appliqué
to the edge and I didn't like it at all - so I am only speaking from my
own experience. I had fewer appliqué pieces, and I used the colour of
the background, but even so.

(You did just give us two options! but, the first thought that came to
my mind was sand dunes, and the various curves that they make.)
.

In message , Sandy
writes

Julia in MN August 27th 07 10:29 PM

Suggestions wanted

Sandy Ellison wrote:
Howdy!

Eat dessert first.

That sounds good to me :)

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Pat in Virginia August 27th 07 10:47 PM

Suggestions wanted

Julia, That is a wonderful WH. The motifs are all
mostly soft curves; a cross hatch grid would be a nice
counterpoint to the curves.
PAT in VA

Debra August 28th 07 12:50 AM

Suggestions wanted

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 09:59:00 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

I am currently at hand quilting a wall hanging applqued with desert
"things". I have quilted around all the applique motifs and the sashing.
I am working on the borders now. I'm not sure how to quilt the
background of the blocks. I am considering either echo-quilting around
each of the applique motifs or doing a diagonal grid. What do you think?
There are pictures and a description of my dilemma at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/Quilts2007

Julia in MN

Well, I was going to say you should use a cherry motif in the
backgrounds, but the pictures show des-ert (cactus/sand) rather than
dee-zert (pie/cake).

What about wavy lines across each block (somewhat like ~~~~),
reminiscent of heat waves?
or
straight lines "radiating" from the sun block? Each block would be
marked slightly differently than it's neighbor. No quilting "sunbeam"
lines on the sashing or appliques, just the block backgrounds.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Patti S August 28th 07 01:40 AM

Suggestions wanted

Julia, your wall hanging is great! You've definitely captured "the
desert"......

Patti in Seatte

Gen August 28th 07 02:01 AM

Suggestions wanted

I love it--anything southwest is great. I see you have no kokopelli's on
it. How about quilting some of them into the blocks?
Gen
"...