CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OFF TOPIC - stand mixers (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=128701)

Cheryl Isaak November 25th 11 01:24 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

Bruce November 25th 11 02:21 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 25/11/2011 13:57, wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:24:04 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I have a Kenwood,
http://tinyurl.com/86zkthe I just used it to beat
some cream cheese actually, the machine does not look like this one
but it is 43 years and counting and works as efficiently as the day I
bought it.

Has all the usual beaters and attachments, even back in my day.

Maureen uses her 30 year old Kenwood Chef on a regular basis. We did
have a whole host of gadgets that went with it but the only one used
nowadays is the liquidiser.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Joyce in RSA November 25th 11 08:38 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

wrote:

I have gleefully smoked the all in one mixer, blender, food processor I
got years ago as a gift (not something I'd have bought)

who has a favorite stand mixer? and why

I"m getting a new one for the holidays

Cheryl

I have a Kenwood,
http://tinyurl.com/86zkthe I just used it to beat
some cream cheese actually, the machine does not look like this one
but it is 43 years and counting and works as efficiently as the day I
bought it.

Has all the usual beaters and attachments, even back in my day.

Maureen uses her 30 year old Kenwood Chef on a regular basis. We did
have a whole host of gadgets that went with it but the only one used
nowadays is the liquidiser.

I also have a Kenwood, which is still going strong after almost 50
years. I loved it so much that we bought our 2 DDs and DS one each as
wedding presents. Mine and those of the DDs are used a great deal.

Joyce in RSA.

Cheryl Isaak November 25th 11 09:14 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

wrote:

[...]

wonder if you can buy an Kenwood in the US

Bruce November 25th 11 09:33 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 25/11/2011 21:14, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
wonder if you can buy an Kenwood in the US

Yes, it's badged as the Delonghi DSM5 due to trademark restrictions
http://www.kenwoodchefmixer.co.uk/usa.html
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Mary November 26th 11 02:28 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

I have a 20 year old KitchenAid, and dearly love it! It is the one
with the bowl that goes up and down (rather than the one where the
bowl sits and the motor part goes up and down.) In fact, it is the
same model you see the chefs use on Food TV. I figured that if it was
good enough for Julia Childs and Emeril and Bobby Flay, it was
probably pretty good, and it surely is GREAT! I use it for everything
from whipping cream and merangues and making cookie dough and noodle
dough to the twice-weekly heavy bread dough. It does a wonderful
job!

Susan Hartman[_2_] November 26th 11 04:27 PM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 11/26/2011 9:28 AM, Mary wrote:
I have a 20 year old KitchenAid, and dearly love it! It is the one
with the bowl that goes up and down (rather than the one where the
bowl sits and the motor part goes up and down.) In fact, it is the
same model you see the chefs use on Food TV. I figured that if it was
good enough for Julia Childs and Emeril and Bobby Flay, it was
probably pretty good, and it surely is GREAT! I use it for everything
from whipping cream and merangues and making cookie dough and noodle
dough to the twice-weekly heavy bread dough. It does a wonderful
job!

I have a KitchenAid as well- two or three years old. Rather than the
artisan, which has designer colors but a relatively lightweight motor, I
got the "Pro" model with (I think) a 5-1/2 qt.bowl. (It was slightly
more expensive than the Artisan.) I like it a lot. The only issues are
that when it's kneading, it vibrates a lot (and it's LOUD!), so I feel
that I need to stand right next to it lest it "walk" itself off the
counter. The second issue is that the beater that came with it has paint
flaking off, so I can't use it and will have to buy a replacement one.
In fact, that's what I was just looking up online before I checked the
newsgroup!

One other thing to check: KitchenAids are tall, so make sure it will fit
your counters. Mine doesn't go underneath the cabinet; it sits in front.
(It might fit standard ones, but I had my lower counters raised to
accommodate my height...but not the mixer's, LOL!)

sue

--
Susan Hartman

Dianne Lewandowski November 27th 11 04:17 AM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 11/26/2011 10:27 AM, Susan Hartman wrote:
I have a KitchenAid as well- two or three years old. Rather than the
artisan, which has designer colors but a relatively lightweight motor, I
got the "Pro" model with (I think) a 5-1/2 qt.bowl.

I've had my KitchenAid 5-qt since the early 1980s and it's going strong.
I don't the kitchen when it kneads dough - don't trust that it won't
walk. And yes, you know I'm not mixing cake batter. grin But I
wouldn't trade it. The mixing paddle is becoming worn, but other than
that, she's a well-used beauty. I've been glad I didn't opt for the one
whose head releases, but rather have the one where you have a lever for
the bowl. For one thing, it would have been too small for some bread
recipes.

Dianne

Cheryl Isaak November 27th 11 11:40 AM

OFF TOPIC - stand mixers

On 11/26/11 11:17 PM, Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
On 11/26/2011 10:27 AM, Susan Hartman wrote:
I have a KitchenAid as well- two or three years old. Rather than the
artisan, which has designer colors but a relatively lightweight motor, I
got the "Pro" model with (I think) a 5-1/2 qt.bowl.

I've had my KitchenAid 5-qt since the early 1980s and it's going strong.
I don't the kitchen when it kneads dough - don't trust that it won't
walk. And yes, you know I'm not mixing cake batter. grin But I
wouldn't trade it. The mixing paddle is becoming worn, but other than
that, she's a well-used beauty. I've been glad I didn't opt for the one
whose head releases, but rather have the one where you have a lever for
the bowl. For one thing, it would have been too small for some bread
recipes.

Dianne

Thanks Dianne - I want the larger one if the family really wants me to
make the apple cake more often.

I want the one with the lever to raise/lower the bowl
Cheryl