CraftBanter

-   -   Writing my name (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139953)

Brian Christiansen October 24th 16 09:27 AM

Writing my name

I am not announcing that I finally learned how to write my name, I have
known how to do that for several years now.

However, I think that on the quilt I have talked about repairing, and am
currently in the process of doing, instead of making my label that says
"Ruth Sherwoood, 1961, Brian Christiansen 2016 (or 2017 because that is
how fast I do projects like this)" or whatever I decide to say on it,
instead of writing on it with a sharpie or some kind of fabric marking
pen, I will freehand quilt the writing on.

I am not very good at freehand quilting, but I am good enough to be able
to write it out with a pencil or fabric marker and trace over it.

--
Brian Christiansen

Bobbie Sews More October 24th 16 02:16 PM

Writing my name

I always tend to think I can sew most anything I want to. So I watched a TV
show about using a pencil to write my name on a piece of cloth a size
larger than I will cut out.
and back it with a stablizer, lower the feed dog, place cloth under the
needle without the foot, use a narrow zig-zag, put both hands on each side
of the cloth to move it as I embroider my name and other words. I usually
practice moving my hands with NO cloth to get the feel, then use up 2 or 3
scraps until I think I can get it right to put on my quilt. My present
sewing machine will write the words for me, but not the size I want, so I
still do it this way. My scraps might be used as a pocket on summer shorts.
I also like the idea of using a straight stitch to write words.
Barbara in FL

[email protected] October 24th 16 08:27 PM

Writing my name

Hello Brian,
I tried to use a sharpie with perm. ink but it bled into the fabric so glad you didn't use that method. You can always embroidery manually with a chain stitch if you think you need to.
Sandy$