CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any one here - bead loom question (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=112722)

Cheryl Isaak December 18th 10 12:55 PM

Any one here - bead loom question

Ok - my 12 yo DD has decided she wants to learn to use my bead loom. No
problems teacher her the basics on my part. But with my pocketbook feeling a
bit pinched; what would you use for thread - she's been using sewing thread
for now and I have plenty. But soon she's going to want to make a something
she's not going to pick apart right after. (btw that has been her decision,
not mine - to start over repeatedly)

So - what's cheap enough for me to buy in bulk that would still last when
she finishes a piece.

Thanks

Cheryl

Linda D. December 20th 10 04:59 PM

Any one here - bead loom question

Hi Cheryl,

I'm not a bead loom expert, but when I did it I'm sure I used Nymo.
It's strong, and will last. It's not too pricey, I think I paid $7.95
for a large spool here in Canada. It's probably less expensive in the
U.S. You might find it at Michael's or Ben Franklin and use a 40% off
coupon.

HTH...Linda D. in B.C., Canada

Maren at google December 24th 10 08:23 AM

Any one here - bead loom question

Hi Cheryl,

no experience with bead looms whatsoever, but any kind of monofilament
(fishing line) should work, at least for starts. You may get a better
deal at fishing stores than craft stores, and you're likely not the
first beader to walk in there - or if you go into a big box store,
look in the fishing section as well (I don't remember where you are, I
hope you're not in the middle of dry land)

Apologies to you and everybody else of the old crowd still around here
for not having shown up for so long.

Aloha,
Maren

Shirley Shone[_2_] December 24th 10 11:15 AM

Any one here - bead loom question

In message
,
Maren at google writes

On Dec 20, 6:59*am, "Linda D." wrote:
[...]

This post did not show up on my computer or I would have answered.
I have always used Nymo on my bead loom.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

www.allcrafts.org.uk

Cheryl Isaak December 26th 10 12:43 PM

Any one here - bead loom question

Thank you Mauren
Nope - plenty of fishing here. Since she's playing with seed beads (brave
child that she is) I'll see what I can find next time I hit WallyWorld.

Cheryl
On 12/24/10 3:23 AM, in article
, "Maren at

Cheryl Isaak December 26th 10 12:44 PM

Any one here - bead loom question

I'll wander in with my coupons, but the only thing I recall seeing were
little spools about an inch in diameter.

Cheryl
On 12/20/10 11:59 AM, in article
, "Linda

Linda2 December 26th 10 01:35 PM

Any one here - bead loom question

Our WalMart does not carry Nymo or Sylamide. I stock up at our LBS or the
bead shows when they come to town.

BonEchoLampworks February 2nd 11 05:40 AM

On Dec 18 2010, 7:55*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok - my 12 yo DD has decided she wants to learn to use my bead loom. No
problems teacher her the basics on my part. But with my pocketbook feeling a
bit pinched; what would you use for thread - she's been using sewing thread
for now and I have plenty. But soon she's going to want to make a something
she's not going to pick apart right after. (btw that has been her decision,
not mine - to start over repeatedly)

So - what's cheap enough for me to buy in bulk that would still last when
she finishes a piece.

Thanks

Cheryl

Try dental floss! Honestly, works wonderfully! You can get it waxed,
for easier movement through beads, and it's super durable!
(won't break, or fray under normal circumstances - also holds up to
being wet really well...)
Go for the heavier gauged floss, it's slightly wider than regular,
while still being narrow enough to make several passes through seed
beads.
Hope your daughter enjoys her hobby!

Janice & Sara
www.bonecholampworks.com