CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Laying Tools vs. Railroading (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=140091)

[email protected] July 2nd 17 03:06 AM

Laying Tools vs. Railroading

Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots. I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient. Ie. No floor stand.

D J July 3rd 17 07:24 PM

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:06:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots. I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient. Ie. No floor stand.

You don't need a floor stand to be able to railroad your stitches. I've managed to railroad while holding the fabric in my hands.

To get your thread straightened out, dangle the needle from your fabric to untwist it, then separate and straighten. Do this after each stitch for 5 or 6 stitches, then continue to dangle every other stitch. It's tedious, but the look of railroading is well worth it.

I hardly ever use my floor stand, but I do have Qsnaps and scroll bars. My scroll bars fit in a lap stand. If you like your work in your lap there are several different kinds of lap stands. If you really want a floor stand they are as cheap as $40 at Micheals.

Hope this helps,
Dawn

Joan Erickson July 6th 17 11:35 PM

On 7/3/2017 1:24 PM, D J wrote:
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 10:06:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Great info. Now know why I was getting do many ##$* knots.
I like a laying tool but it isn't always convenient.

snip
You don't need a floor stand to be able to railroad your stitches.
I've managed to railroad while holding the fabric in my hands.

snip
Hope this helps,
Dawn

I agree with Dawn. I've often railroaded stitches and I almost
exclusively use a hoop.

Another thing that helps prevent knotting (if you don't already do this)
is to separate your plies after you cut them from the skein, then put
them back together. This eliminates the twist from when they wind the
skein.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures