CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Beginners help (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=74772)

DKat September 3rd 06 04:19 AM

Beginners help

"Bob" wrote in message
Where can a newbie go for "Dummies" type help with this hobby ? I do
not even know the meaning of Raku, bisque and etc.

I own a nice digital Paragon kiln that is used for a hobby other than
firing ceramics. I am a flint knapper that uses my kiln to "cook" rock
for knapping. I would like to play around with the ceramics thing to see
if I am interested. First I would like to learn the meanings of the
words associated with the ceramic hobby.

Thanks in advance, Tampa Bob who actually lives a good bit further
South at this time.

The digitalfire site Steve posted is one of the best out there.
http://www.bigceramicstore.com/Infor...ramicsInfo.htm
has some helpful articles and links
and another of our regulars has his own site with helpful info on it (I have
it on another computer if he doesn't show up soon).
if you go to www.potters.org and use 'newbie' in the seach 'title and body'
you will come up with questions others new to the trade have asked.

http://lindaarbuckle.com/arbuckle_handouts.html might be one you like. Lots
out there.

Hope you're staying dry. We just got hit up here in NY and the winds were
impressive (have been working on battery until just a moment ago as it took
out the electric).

Donna