CraftBanter

-   Polymer Clay (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shiny facest (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16570)

Dawn November 5th 03 04:16 AM

Shiny facest

I usually put a coat of TLS on the faces of my figures to smooth things out
and fill in any imperfections and it gives a nice smooth matte finish to the
faces. Well today I decided to mix in a little diluent to let it flow on and
level off a little better but when I pulled it out of the oven I had
extremly high gloss faces which I did NOT want. So I thought I'd ask if
anyone has run into this before, maybe you Katherine? So a heads up on any
one who doesn't want shiny faces.( I'm putting a light coat of just TLS on
top of it to see if I can tone down the shine.)
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com

Sjpolyclay November 5th 03 04:29 PM

Dawn---you are saying that TLS plus diluent is shiny when baked?....... I
don't have any diluent to try that--would you pretty please repeat your
experiment on a little scrap and see if indeed its that mix that caused the
shiny effect? If it is, guess I better get some...
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

DianeGlassAttic November 5th 03 08:43 PM

Very intriguing!!... I echo Sarajane's call for more experimenting.

It would be great if we had the option of giving Translucent Liquid Sculpey a
shiny finish whenever we wanted it (for transfers, etc., even though we
wouldn't want them on faces...lolol). Might it even work for original
opaque-white LS too??

How much Diluent do you think you added (proportionally) to the TLS?

Dawn November 5th 03 08:57 PM

I just tried it again but this batch didn't turn out shiny so I'm increasing
the amount of dilent. I was only mixing a tiny amount since I was just
painting a couple of small faces. The amount may have been as much as half
and half , I'm just not sure but it was extremely high gloss when it came
out. When you don't want something to happen, it does. When you try...go
figure! I'm still trying.

--
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/caketoppers.htm
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/photoguidlines.htm

Sjpolyclay November 5th 03 10:28 PM

The amount may have been as much as half
and half , I'm just not sure but it was extremely high gloss when it came
out.

was it touching anything? I know baking touching tiles or glass makes clay
shiney...but these are scuplted faces, dimensional, right? so that can't be
it...
I do appreciate your scientific bent, here!

Dawn November 5th 03 11:04 PM

The figures were standing upright touching nothing. I've been trying to get
it to happen again on pieces of baked clay, even raw clay, but I can't. The
heads were up toward the upper heating coil but I believe that only comes on
during the broil cycle but if it had it would have scorched the figures.
I've tried several different ratios of clay to diluent..nothing. I tried to
increase the temperature and the length of time...no change. SOMETHING
happened and it's driving me nuts.

Sjpolyclay November 5th 03 11:26 PM

SOMETHING
happened and it's driving me nuts.

did you have anything different on your hands when you made them, ie lotion,
gloves??

Sjpolyclay November 6th 03 03:50 PM

Dawn, was anything else in the oven with it?

Maybe you have checked all the baking variables , though I'm still wondering
about a short temp flux---high heat does sometimes melt the clay into
shiny-ness before scorching it.

Next would be the clay itself---was it sitting around, or fresh out of the
wrapper? Did you try the reoccuring experimental pieces out of the very same
clay?

Dawn November 6th 03 04:24 PM

This was the final bake just to add the TLS.. Everything had already been
baked several times. I used the same method for baking as I always do and
had done on this figure. They were alone in the oven and I was using the
same batch of clay that other figures had come from. The I tried a higher
temperature bake on some test clay. The clay was scorched around the edges
but the area that I applied the TLS mix to was still matte.

--
http://www.thumbprintkids.com/pages/...0guidlines.htm