CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Home again. (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=84524)

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply June 20th 07 08:28 PM

Home again.

Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the kids had Span
sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Murielle June 20th 07 09:37 PM

Home again.

"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...
Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the kids had Span
sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham or
bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because it
doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

I think you're right Melinda. It's not something I would buy now, much less
eat.

Murielle

Katherine June 21st 07 03:16 AM

Home again.

On Jun 20, 3:28 pm, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the kids had Span
sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that it is us. :-
(

Higs,
Katherine

Murielle June 21st 07 08:30 AM

Home again.

ps.com...
wrote:
Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the kids had Span
sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that it is us. :-
(

Higs,
Katherine

I think you're right, Katherine. ;-)

Hugs,
Murielle

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply June 21st 07 09:33 AM

Home again.

Katherine wrote:
We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that it is us. :-

Maybe so, but I still think they changed the recipe some time over the
last 30-40 years.

enigma June 21st 07 12:40 PM

Home again.

Katherine wrote in
ps.com:

reply wrote:
Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the
kids had Span sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like
you would ham or bacon. I think the recipe must have
changed over the years, because it doesn't taste the same
now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that
it is us. :- (

no, it's not. corporate recipes have changed a lot over the
years, mostly to their detriment.
high fructose corn syrup has replaced sugar (get some Kosher
Coke & compare it to common Coke. there's a big difference!)
breakfast cereals are almost all sweetened (including Kix &
Cheerios)
manufacturers are always looking for cheaper & well, cheaper
doesn't taste as good (usually because it's *not* as good).
i could go into a huge diatribe about manufactured food, but
i'll behave unless people want to know...
one thing i do have to say though, is do NOT buy prepackaged
meat (such as Wal-Mart sells). it is pumped full of CO2 (and
frequently up to 12% saline solution to look moist) to make it
look good for up to 28 days! it can be spoiled but look "fresh
cut". meat should not have a 'shelf life'.
if you have salt intake restrictions or are trying to avoid
salt, the saline injected meat has almost 500 milligrams per 3
oz. serving.
lee

Katherine June 21st 07 01:08 PM

Home again.

ps.com...

wrote:
Murielle wrote:

I remember Spam sandwiches drowned in ketchup. All the kids had Span
sandwiches for lunch.

We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that it is us. :-
(

Higs,
Katherine

I think you're right, Katherine. ;-)

Some things taste the same, though. Arrowroot biscuits are still
delicious.

Higs,
Katherine

Katherine June 21st 07 01:08 PM

Home again.

On Jun 21, 4:33 am, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply
wrote:
Katherine wrote:
We always took it camping and fried it for breakfast like you would ham
or bacon. I think the recipe must have changed over the years, because
it doesn't taste the same now as it used to.

Sigh! Nothing tastes the same as it used to. I think that it is us. :-

Maybe so, but I still think they changed the recipe some time over the
last 30-40 years.

Keith still likes it.

Higs,
Katherine

Katherine June 21st 07 01:09 PM

Home again.

reply wrote:
Murielle wrote:

[...]

Which is why I don't eat it at all.

Higs,
Katherine

Alison June 21st 07 01:25 PM

Home again.

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:40:14 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

no, it's not. corporate recipes have changed a lot over the
years, mostly to their detriment.
high fructose corn syrup has replaced sugar (get some Kosher
Coke & compare it to common Coke. there's a big difference!)

snip
At least here in NYC, you don't get sugar in Coke unless it's Kosher
for Passover Coke (not just Kosher Coke) (only available around
Passover.) I do know that some people stock up at that time!

Alison