CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nordic Needle (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=140141)

sharoncapps September 25th 17 08:57 PM

Nordic Needle

I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale. They sent out invitations to loyal patron for a
week of shopping before notifying the general public about their closing
They will be closing their doors forever after 42 years. What a loss. We
have the general craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's but
Nordic Needle was our only actual needlework store for quite a area around
us. I don't know if there are any others closer than the Minneapolis area.
I guess the young people of today just don't stitch or do needlework. How
sad is that. I will sure miss them.
Sharon in MN

[email protected] September 25th 17 09:47 PM

Nordic Needle

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:57:52 -0500, "sharoncapps"
wrote:

I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale. They sent out invitations to loyal patron for a
week of shopping before notifying the general public about their closing
They will be closing their doors forever after 42 years. What a loss. We
have the general craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's but
Nordic Needle was our only actual needlework store for quite a area around
us. I don't know if there are any others closer than the Minneapolis area.
I guess the young people of today just don't stitch or do needlework. How
sad is that. I will sure miss them.
Sharon in MN

Wow! I am amazed and dismayed :( I think the problem is young
people today don't do things we would ever have considered 'a craft' -
I expect they will be back but they will never know the lust and
pleasure of entering a needlework shop.

Jinx the Minx September 26th 17 05:53 AM

Nordic Needle

sharoncapps wrote:
I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale. They sent out invitations to loyal patron for a
week of shopping before notifying the general public about their closing
They will be closing their doors forever after 42 years. What a loss. We
have the general craft stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's but
Nordic Needle was our only actual needlework store for quite a area around
us. I don't know if there are any others closer than the Minneapolis area.
I guess the young people of today just don't stitch or do needlework. How
sad is that. I will sure miss them.
Sharon in MN

I somehow dropped off their paper mailing list some time ago. It's an
arduous, boring ride up there from Minneapolis, but I did it often in my
single 20's days. I may have to plan a final road trip in the near future.
:-(

--
jinx the minx

sharoncapps September 26th 17 02:19 PM

Nordic Needle

The invitation only sale is from September 28th-October thru October 4th.
It will then go in the paper and anyone is invited.
Sharon in MN

Violet Stitches September 27th 17 05:15 PM

Nordic Needle

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 2:58:09 PM UTC-5, sharoncapps wrote:
I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale.

Another one bites the dust. Breaks my heart. :(

I will say I had a lot of problems ordering from the Nordic Needle online....things were back ordered MANY months, them "losing" a returned package (when the tracking said it was delivered), and some not-so-great customer service. Nonetheless I hate to see a needlework shop close...they're just too rare these days.

I really, really dislike online shopping for stitching supplies, but it looks like that's the only way we'll be able to get anything in a few years.

I'm 44 and all of my friends think stitching is an "old lady hobby." Hey, I started stitching when I was 10! In our county fair they've done away with the needlework category entirely because no one enters anymore. I'm going to see if I can't get the category reopened next year though, and submit some of my stuff...not to win ribbons, but to show people stitching is NOT an old lady art. Especially with all the cool patterns and hand-dyed fabrics/threads these days. Or maybe I'm just a dreamer.

Tess September 27th 17 10:39 PM

Nordic Needle

This is so very sad. Somehow I had managed to drop off their mailing list, and sadly hadn't noticed.

I'm fortunate that I have always had good needlework shops near me, but I drooled over many of NN designs.

Joan Erickson September 27th 17 11:51 PM

Nordic Needle

On 9/25/2017 11:53 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
sharoncapps wrote:
I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale. They sent out invitations to loyal patron for a
week of shopping before notifying the general public about their closing

I somehow dropped off their paper mailing list some time ago. It's an
arduous, boring ride up there from Minneapolis, but I did it often in my
single 20's days. I may have to plan a final road trip in the near future.
:-(

Arliss & I will be there when the door opens tomorrow morning at 10. It
says we can bring a friend, so I can bring 2, if you want to meet us
there! :)

The letter actually said "local" customers and it looks, AFAICT, that
it's a radius of less than 200 miles. Sharon, how far away are you?

Hey! I have my @ badge...I'll wear that so I'll be recognizable! :)

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Jinx the Minx September 28th 17 04:14 AM

Nordic Needle

sharoncapps wrote:
[...]

Thanks!

--
jinx the minx

Jinx the Minx September 28th 17 04:19 AM

Nordic Needle

sharoncapps wrote:
I was stunned when I got my mail today and I had an invitation from Nordic
Needle for a closing sale. They sent out invitations to loyal patron for a
week of shopping before notifying the general public about their closing

I somehow dropped off their paper mailing list some time ago. It's an
arduous, boring ride up there from Minneapolis, but I did it often in my
single 20's days. I may have to plan a final road trip in the near future.
:-(

Arliss & I will be there when the door opens tomorrow morning at 10. It
says we can bring a friend, so I can bring 2, if you want to meet us
there! :)

The letter actually said "local" customers and it looks, AFAICT, that
it's a radius of less than 200 miles. Sharon, how far away are you?

Hey! I have my @ badge...I'll wear that so I'll be recognizable! :)

Dagnabit! I'm 253 miles away! If I had seen your invite before 10:15pm
tonight I would have made arrangements to hightail it up there!

--
jinx the minx