CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Crochet hooks (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=47858)

Daisy April 5th 05 05:56 AM

Crochet hooks

I would like to try crochet beading, and need to know if the 00 size
hook will be small enough for seed beads. I realise there are a
number of sizes of seed beads, so perhaps the size next up from the
very small ones could be used for crochet?

If anyone knows the hook size and bead sizes I would be grateful.

Cheers

Daisy

Dianne Lewandowski April 5th 05 02:24 PM

I made up my own purse pattern with seed beads. Cannot remember the
size hook I used. However, this is what you need to think about:

The thread has to be able to go through the beads. The hook is
immaterial, except that it needs to be a size that makes a neat crochet
with the thread you've chosen.

The beads are crocheted as you go. The hook doesn't go through the
beads. You string the beads on the thread. So you have to have a bead
with a hole large enough to accomodate the chosen thread.

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

[email protected] April 5th 05 11:17 PM

As Dianne said, you need to be able to get the bead onto the yarn.
Although I have never tried it myself, I believe that you must string
all the beads on beforehand. A really nice book I saw in my library was
titled Bead Crochet by Bethany Barry. It has nice projects and how-to's
in there. Have fun!
Diane
********************

Dianne Lewandowski April 5th 05 11:36 PM

wrote:
I believe that you must string
all the beads on beforehand.

Yep . . . and it's a tedious but mundane job. :-) One of those jobs
you do when you want to zone out. I've done several beaded purses and
we're talking hundreds (if not thousands) of beads put on the
string/yarn before you even begin to crochet. But it is so very pretty
when finished.

You can bead anything you crochet, providing the yarn will go through
the bead. There may be another method, but I did my own thing . . .
which was placing the bead on a wrong side row. That puts the bead on
the right side.
Dianne

bungadora April 6th 05 01:53 PM

Some people, for some projects, put the beads on matching beading
thread and crochet along with regular yarn, slipping the bead into
place as needed. I seem to recall someone stringing all those beads and
keeping them in order by piling them in a canning jar.

Dora