CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help looking for basswood in the UK (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=94270)

[email protected] April 12th 08 08:52 PM

Help looking for basswood in the UK

Hi,

I have yet to ask my local timber yards, but I was wondering if anyone
could advised me on where I can find a supplier for basswood as I
would love to start giving wood carving a try. I've delved into the
dear ol' google search, which amounted to not much in the way of
basswood. I did find suppliers for wood turning, but they sold all
sorts of lovely exotic woods, but not what I was looking for.

Alternatively, if there is a wood that's suitable for a beginner
that's more readily available, please let me know!

Richard April 13th 08 02:40 AM

Help looking for basswood in the UK

Look for Lime, It's about the same as basswood.

--

Richard

Richard L. Rombold
WIZARD WOODWORKING
489 N. 32nd. St.
Springfield, Or .97478

Take a look at my mess and work.
http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...ername=thewizz

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
good with ketchup"

ICU April 14th 08 03:07 PM

Help looking for basswood in the UK

wrote in news:72fc67a4-60a1-4397-9981-
:

Hi,

I have yet to ask my local timber yards, but I was wondering if anyone
could advised me on where I can find a supplier for basswood as I
would love to start giving wood carving a try. I've delved into the
dear ol' google search, which amounted to not much in the way of
basswood. I did find suppliers for wood turning, but they sold all
sorts of lovely exotic woods, but not what I was looking for.

Alternatively, if there is a wood that's suitable for a beginner
that's more readily available, please let me know!

Basswood is a species that comes from the same family as Lime, have you
tried Lime?

ICU