CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Twisted thread (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=139876)

[email protected] July 11th 16 04:58 AM

Twisted thread

Hi. I'm a newbie. When I make a stitch it looks good as its being pulled down thru the hole; then,just at the very last second, it twists back on itself. I've tried everything suggested to make this stop. Anyone know what in the world I'm doing? Thanks.

Kay Lancaster July 11th 16 10:42 PM

Twisted thread

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 20:58:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Hi. I'm a newbie. When I make a stitch it looks good as its being pulled
down thru the hole; then,just at the very last second, it twists back on
itself. I've tried everything suggested to make this stop. Anyone know
what in the world I'm doing? Thanks.

What have you tried? Usually it means you're unconciously putting a little extra twist
in the thread as you're stitching. Two ways to avoid it... drop the needle and let your
thread untwist and then make the next stitch, or get in the habit of rolling your needle
about 1/4 turn to the untwist direction as you take each stitch. Which direction you
need to roll the needle depends on if you're right or left handed, and if your
thread is S or Z twist. Threads meant for machine sewing are Z twist; many hand embroidery
threads are S twist.

Joan Erickson July 13th 16 06:40 PM

Twisted thread

On 7/10/2016 10:58 PM, wrote:
Hi. I'm a newbie. When I make a stitch it looks good as its being
pulled down thru the hole; then,just at the very last second, it
twists back on itself. I've tried everything suggested to make this
stop. Anyone know what in the world I'm doing? Thanks.

Hi Jessie, and welcome to RCTN!!!! We can certainly use new members!
Tell us a little more about yourself.

Do you separate your strands of floss before putting them in the needle?
If you don't, that might help. There's also something called
"railroading" you could try, too. If you haven't done that, let me know
and I'll guide you through that process.

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures