CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   wanted big chunk of fir,spruce or cedar (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=65731)

John February 26th 06 12:17 PM

wanted big chunk of fir,spruce or cedar

I'd like to find a piece of wood (fir, spruce
or cedar) about 6 x 14 x 46 to carve. Some
guy in BC quoted $180 USD plus shipping.
That's too much. Anyone know of a cheaper
supplier

Charley February 26th 06 04:52 PM

wanted big chunk of fir,spruce or cedar

A single piece of wood that big will likely check or crack severely and your
hard effort will be ruined. You would be much better off making a glue-up
from smaller pieces. They're much easier to locate too, although it'll
likely cost you at least 3/4 of that quoted price anyway. That's almost 27
board feet of lumber and fir prices around here are running about $3.75 /
bd. ft. So this would be $100, plus labor for the glue-up. I haven't
priced spruce or cedar lately, but cedar will likely be the most expensive
option.

--
Charley

Dave W March 8th 06 01:46 PM

wanted big chunk of fir,spruce or cedar

Green (not dry) white cedar runs $1.00 per BF in Maine if that is of any
interest.