CraftBanter

-   Polymer Clay (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   FAO: Sarajane (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=76414)

nanner October 13th 06 02:32 PM

FAO: Sarajane

Hi, I have a vrathane question. I have a piece that's almost done, it's made
of Cernit, and I have painted thin washes of Liquitex Basics acrylic paint
for some accents and toning. I figure I should seal it although I don't
think the color will rub off or scratch (i had to sand with 2 grits to get
off some wash that was where I didn't want it LOL) So, 1st - does the
varathane aerosol dry matte? and if not I heard from someone at PCC that you
use unmixed varathane to get a matte finish so I thought I'd ask.

here's the piece BTW - it's not done yet. Do I *have* to seal the paint? i
like it as is. Thanks!

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/FP1a.jpg
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/FP2a.jpg

Barbara Forbes-Lyons October 13th 06 03:07 PM

FAO: Sarajane

That's wonderful, btw.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Votary

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
NEW! http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Sarajane Helm October 15th 06 04:13 PM

Sarajane

Hi there, Nanner! Thats a lovely piece, I like it!!1 And no, you absolutely
do NOT have to seal the acrylics, especially in such a thin wash as that.
The spray is great if you get the waterbased, but you totally dont need it.
The "unmixed varathane" thing is not about getting a matte finish; that
refers to using the satin and semi-gloss but letting the particulates fall
and stay unmixed so you get a gloss instead--for those that dont have the
gloss. But the gloss version penetrates best and is the only one I really
recomend any more. To get a matte finish with it, apply lightly and blot
gently with a makeup sponge.

I also sometimes apply acrylics but use the varathane to extend them rather
than water---that give's 'em more strength and helps bond it to the clay.

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

See the progress at "Pieces"