CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Age appropriate (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=104065)

Dwyn July 21st 09 01:12 PM

Age appropriate

Question for those of you who had little kids at one point -
specifically girls - at what age was it ok for them to start wearing
jewelry? Specifically necklaces.

With everyone so safety conscious and "nothing around their necks" and
all - at what point are little girls "allowed" to wear jewelry? Pretty
much all my friends have boys and don't really know.

Cheryl Isaak July 21st 09 06:33 PM

Age appropriate

On 7/21/09 8:12 AM, in article
, "Dwyn"
wrote:

Question for those of you who had little kids at one point -
specifically girls - at what age was it ok for them to start wearing
jewelry? Specifically necklaces.

With everyone so safety conscious and "nothing around their necks" and
all - at what point are little girls "allowed" to wear jewelry? Pretty
much all my friends have boys and don't really know.

Except when she was on the ice (she plays ice hockey), I let my daughter
wear necklaces starting around age 3 - some "little girl jewelry and dress
up/pretend play beads.

Cheryl

Shirley Shone July 21st 09 06:38 PM

Age appropriate

In message
,
Dwyn writes
Question for those of you who had little kids at one point -
specifically girls - at what age was it ok for them to start wearing
jewelry? Specifically necklaces.

With everyone so safety conscious and "nothing around their necks" and
all - at what point are little girls "allowed" to wear jewelry? Pretty
much all my friends have boys and don't really know.

Well I only had boys. I think that whatever age they are allowed to
wear necklaces there should be a weak link in it somewhere. That would
be able to allow it to break if snagged.

A point in fact is. When I worked in a library we were given a personnel
alarm that hung round our necks. We has been experiencing threatening
behaviour from some of the local rough necks.
The alarm had a round rubber thong that went round the neck and the idea
was to pull on the device to make the alarm sound. It would ring in the
local police station
However I could visualised someone grabbing the thong and using it as a
garrotte without the alarm going off. So the alarm stayed nearby in a
drawer.
One day a local policeman came in for a periodic check and asked why we
were not wearing it. So I asked him to remove his helmet and put it
round his neck and grabbed the thong to demonstrate. He went quite pale
and was very scared. He then understand how we felt. The alarm was
withdrawn. It had no weak link for a breaking point.

Just my opinion.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk

Dwyn July 22nd 09 01:11 PM

Age appropriate

On Jul 21, 1:38*pm, Shirley Shone
wrote:
In message
,
Dwyn writes

[...]

Thanks to you both! I've put a jump ring in as a weak link - it would
give out first if it got snagged in something or grabbed!

Cheryl Isaak July 22nd 09 03:07 PM

Age appropriate

On 7/22/09 8:11 AM, in article
, "Dwyn"
wrote:

On Jul 21, 1:38*pm, Shirley Shone
wrote:
In message
,
Dwyn writes

[...]

Great idea!

Cheryl

spot July 24th 09 11:26 AM

Age appropriate

You could fix this by putting a magnetic clasp on it.

I make id badge holders for nurses and a requirement is that they be
break aways so this can't happen to them.

Celeste