CraftBanter

-   -   Help -- pencil marks didn't wash out (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28037)

[email protected] November 8th 03 05:02 AM

Help -- pencil marks didn't wash out

Does anyone have advice for getting out black pastel chalk pencil marks?
I bought the pencil at my LQS and marked a few quilting lines on white
and yellow fabrics. Washed the quilt in Orvus soap with a Woolite Dye
Magnet sheet. The pencil marks didn't fade a bit.

What remedies have worked for you?

Philip

Jalynne November 8th 03 05:35 AM

Try using liquid stain remover. This worked for a red chalk marking pencil (one
specially for quilt marking...) and I panicked, but a friend of mine calmed me down
and suggested it. I put the stain remover on, let it sit for an hour, then hand
washed it.
--
Jalynne

Jeri November 8th 03 12:07 PM

wrote in message

Does anyone have advice for getting out black pastel chalk pencil
marks? I bought the pencil at my LQS and marked a few quilting lines
on white and yellow fabrics. Washed the quilt in Orvus soap with a
Woolite Dye Magnet sheet. The pencil marks didn't fade a bit.

What remedies have worked for you?

May I suggest before you start experimenting on your quilt that you take
some of the same fabric and mark it? Once you find what works you can then
use it on the quilt itself.

I'd also call the LQS and tell them. If it's a pencil meant to be used for
quilting they may know what to do. If it's not then they'd probably be very
happy to get a warning before it happens to others. (At least I'd hope they
would be!)
--
Jeri
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because

Marcella Tracy Peek November 9th 03 01:36 AM

In article ,
wrote:

Does anyone have advice for getting out black pastel chalk pencil marks?
I bought the pencil at my LQS and marked a few quilting lines on white
and yellow fabrics. Washed the quilt in Orvus soap with a Woolite Dye
Magnet sheet. The pencil marks didn't fade a bit.

What remedies have worked for you?

Philip

I really really like the suggestion of trying out the stain remover
formulas on scraps of that same fabric first!

That said....try rubbing alcohol mixed with some liquid dish soap. Rub
and rinse with cool water.

Some people have success with the usual stain removers - Shout, Spray
and Wash and the like.

For future quilts. Sew a scrap of each fabric from your quilt together
into a long strip ( usually sew 2" squares together into a long strip).
Then with the chosen marking object draw a line through all the
different fabrics. Wash as you would the finished quilt and see that
the marks washed out of every single fabric. If they do, it's safe to
use on your quilt. If not, choose something else.

Hang in there. Something will get it out!

marcella

[email protected] November 9th 03 04:33 AM

Well, I experimented as you suggested. I marked on a scrap of the
fabric, rubbed it with Shout, and hand washed it. The marks came out. So
I Shout-ed the quilt and washed it a second time. Didn't work. The
pencil marks were still there.

I draped the damp quilt across the back seat of my car and drove to my
LQS. They were baffled, and suggested trying a fabric eraser after the
quilt dried.

After doing some shopping and some errands, I got home about 4 hours
later. I pulled the now-dry quilt out of the car -- and there were no
marks. I suppose they just faded away once the quilt was completely dry.

If I'd only known....

Philip