CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Making cables w/o cable needle (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=39865)

gdmack November 4th 03 01:54 PM

Making cables w/o cable needle

Hi! Saw this on the tv show with Shay Pendray last Saturday and thought I'd
try it...the person demonstrating
it said that 's how the cables in Irish sweaters are done sicne it's faster
than using cable needle. :

Say you're doing a basic 4-stitch cable (right twist) ; knit into 3rd stitch
on left needle leaving first 2 stitches on
needle then slide stitches off . the 2 unstiched stitches are locked in
place, then knit the 4th stitch and then
slide the 2 unworked stitches back on left needle and knit them.. does this
make sense? seems to make the
cable tighter (mine at least :-) and works faster as you don't have to
keep stopping to get the cable needle.

Donna in SC
(getting lots of knitting done as DH is out of the country for a few months
and I can leave my stuff out where
I can see it all without him bugging me! )

Karen November 4th 03 07:46 PM

Wow -- I like that!! I love doing cables, but dealing with the needle is a
pain (literally, sometimes, like when I accidentally poke it into my palm).
Thanks for sharing this Donna, I'm going to try it!

Karen in MN

NoraBalcer November 4th 03 07:54 PM

Hi Donna,

Oh, you jogged my memory, I once had a pattern that did the cable like that and
it was tighter.

Hugs,

Nora

Aud November 4th 03 08:57 PM

Yes! I'll try that!Thank you, Donna!
AUD ;-))

--

"gdmack" skrev i melding

Katherine Burgess November 5th 03 02:06 AM

Donna,
I have been doing cables like that for years. My mother used to get
disgusted with me, and even bought me "proper" cable needles. I still don't
use them. g
Katherine