CraftBanter

-   -   anyone know of a batting fluffy like poly (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29237)

QUILTKITTY January 9th 04 01:31 AM

anyone know of a batting fluffy like poly

Hey girls,

Does anyone know if there is a cotton batting out there that is somewhat
"fluffy"? I love cotton batting for it's ease in quilting but lean toward the
poly's for fluffiness when I do a lap size. But poly is difficult to quilt,
particularly the high loft variety.....ideally what I'd like to find is a
cotton batting with some of the "fluffiness" of a poly? Any recommendations?

~quiltkitty

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me January 9th 04 04:26 AM

In checking the Hancock's of Paducah catalog, I find that Quilter's
Dream comes in 4 thicknesses- request loft, select loft, deluxe loft and
supreme loft. I've used the first two and it's very nice batting. I
have samples of the other two and I think they'd be excessively heavy
and kinda stiff. The cotton battings are much more dense than the polys
are. You could also try two layers of Warm & Natural or Warm and White,
but I think the same things would apply. HTH

Leslie (who seems to remember someone here tried two layers of W&N,
didn't they???)

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!

melinda January 9th 04 05:33 AM

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me wrote:
In checking the Hancock's of Paducah catalog, I find that Quilter's
Dream comes in 4 thicknesses- request loft, select loft, deluxe loft and
supreme loft. I've used the first two and it's very nice batting. I
have samples of the other two and I think they'd be excessively heavy
and kinda stiff. The cotton battings are much more dense than the polys
are. You could also try two layers of Warm & Natural or Warm and White,
but I think the same things would apply. HTH

Leslie (who seems to remember someone here tried two layers of W&N,
didn't they???)

I use 2 layers of W&N wool for my potholders. The last one I did there
was no way my machine was going to be able to quilt it, so I did it by
hand - stab stitch, cause to blocks were shoo-flys of baby/fine corduroy.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol

Marcella Tracy Peek January 9th 04 08:06 PM

In article ,
(QUILTKITTY) wrote:

Hey girls,

Does anyone know if there is a cotton batting out there that is somewhat
"fluffy"? I love cotton batting for it's ease in quilting but lean toward the
poly's for fluffiness when I do a lap size. But poly is difficult to quilt,
particularly the high loft variety.....ideally what I'd like to find is a
cotton batting with some of the "fluffiness" of a poly? Any recommendations?

~quiltkitty

Cotton batts aren't terribly fluffy. You might give the Hobbs 80/20 a
try. It's fluffier than straight cotton and is very nice to hand or
machine quilt.

If you aren't set on cotton, the Hobbs wool batt is pretty fluffy and
hand quilts wonderfully.

marcella

Ellison January 9th 04 11:20 PM

Howdy!
If you wash the Hobbs Heirloom, just kind of let it soak in
some soapy water, gentle rinse, short spin-dry, then toss it
in the clothes dryer for a drying fluff, it's really soft and poofier
(I love those high-tech terms). And much easier to handquilt.

Ragmop/Sandy--that Hobbs batting: it's from ... oh, yeah,
TEXAS, you know ;-D