CraftBanter

-   -   OT Is this another difference? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=58657)

Sally Swindells October 20th 05 03:17 PM

OT Is this another difference?

I've just been listening to hurricane news on Fox, and noticed that
one one item of other news they spoke of 'thirty hundred people' when
here we would have said 'three thousand' (3,000).

Is this a general thing - or regional - or is it just that particular
news reader? Here its unusual to go much above fifteen hundred before
the number turns into thousands, and to turn into thousands at the
1,000 mark is probably more usual, e.g. one thousand two hundred).

Just intrigued by language usage, thats all!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Tracey October 20th 05 03:51 PM

"Sally Swindells" wrote in message
I've just been listening to hurricane news on Fox, and noticed that
one one item of other news they spoke of 'thirty hundred people' when
here we would have said 'three thousand' (3,000).

Is this a general thing - or regional - or is it just that particular
news reader?

It sounds to me like the newscaster just flubbed reading the teleprompter.
Its not unusual to hear 28 hundred people (2,000) so he/she just misspoke
most likely.

KJ October 20th 05 04:10 PM

OT Is this another difference?

Yes, it does sound like a newscaster flub. But we do use the "hundred"
after almost any number up to 10,000 when it doesn't end in zero. ( eg, not
20 hundred, 30 hundred, 40 hundred etc., they would be 2000, 3000, 4000 etc)
but you will hear it for almost all the other numbers. 21 hundred (2100) ,
22 hundred (2200) etc.
Oh geez, I've gotten my punctuation all messed up. Sorry about that. Hope
I'm clear...but I'm not taking the time to rewrite!

--
Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

. ..

Julia Altshuler October 20th 05 04:31 PM

OT Is this another difference?

I've never heard it before. I hear 3,200 pronounced as thirty-two
hundred instead three thousand, two hundred all the time, but when it is
that nice round figure, I always hear three thousand.

I'm wondering when the switch will take place with the date. We went
from 1999 which was pronounced "nineteen ninety nine" to "the year two
thousand." Now we're at "two thousand five." But I want it to become
"twenty ten" instead of "two thouand ten."

--Lia

Roberta Zollner October 20th 05 05:40 PM

OT Is this another difference?

I've been using "twenty- oh-five" etc.all along, butcan't say I've
influenced many people.
Roberta in D

Patti October 20th 05 06:39 PM

OT Is this another difference?

We're all saying twenty ten and so on, when it can't be mistaken for
'25', 26, 27 and so on. For those until ten arrives, what I hear most is
twenty O five and so on.
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes
I've been using "twenty- oh-five" etc.all along, butcan't say I've
influenced many people.
Roberta in D

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Pat in Virginia October 20th 05 07:07 PM

OT Is this another difference?

Sally:
That sounds so odd to me too. I wonder if you misunderstood;
perhaps it was thirteen hundred, not thirty hundred.
Over here it is acceptable to say hundreds up to around nineteen
hundred. One thousand, nine hundred is acceptable too.

Example, I cleaned out my quilting room and found seventeen
hundred UFO, give or take a couple hundred. (ROFLOL!!)

PAT in VA/USA

MB October 20th 05 11:57 PM

OT Is this another difference?

My sis's MIL always always use the word ought in place of zero when
mentioning the year of her birth.
.. She was born in ought one, she says , of course, meaning 1901. I
really thought that way
of saying those years would make come back when 2001 rolled around but not
enough old timers to resurrect it apparently !!!...I think your way of
saying it is
quick too....and don't know why people don't say it that way. It would
just take a few reporters,,, celebs...
whatever ....to use it a few times on TV and we'd be saying it right along
with them for sure !!
Mary

MB October 20th 05 11:58 PM

OT Is this another difference?

Oh, gosh...is it aught or ought.? ...Mary ( who hates to have to drag out
the dictionary )

I've been using "twenty- oh-five" etc.all along, butcan't say I've
influenced many people.

Maybe that's because it should be "twenty-aught-five." :) John

Sally Swindells October 21st 05 12:25 AM

OT Is this another difference?

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:31:46 -0400, Julia Altshuler
wrote:

I've never heard it before. I hear 3,200 pronounced as thirty-two
hundred instead three thousand, two hundred all the time, but when it is
that nice round figure, I always hear three thousand.

I'm wondering when the switch will take place with the date. We went
from 1999 which was pronounced "nineteen ninety nine" to "the year two
thousand." Now we're at "two thousand five." But I want it to become
"twenty ten" instead of "two thouand ten."

--Lia

I've heard 'twenty ten', but below that 'two thousand and five' (note
the added 'and'.

In senior moments I still find myself starting the date with 19..! Has
anyone noticed how difficult it is to write the correct date on your
birthday. - too easy to put your full date of birth!
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~