CraftBanter

-   Carving (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Source of Geometric Drawing Tut's or books (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=99684)

Imphal December 15th 08 09:36 AM

Source of Geometric Drawing Tut's or books

Hi,

Just getting into chip carving, I'm atracted by the geometric layouts (not
being very artistic to say the least)

Can anyone point me to tutorials or books regarding the making of patterns
i.e

compass/paper, CAD etc

I'm not after projects/plans and I have bought a couple of books, but good
as they are for learning to carve, I want to concentrate on the pattern
making methods

e.g rosettes, borders, lattice, dihedrons etc even if it containsd the
dreaded maths.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

John O. Kopf December 16th 08 12:08 AM

Imphal wrote:
Hi,

Just getting into chip carving, I'm atracted by the geometric layouts (not
being very artistic to say the least)

Can anyone point me to tutorials or books regarding the making of patterns
i.e

compass/paper, CAD etc

I'm not after projects/plans and I have bought a couple of books, but good
as they are for learning to carve, I want to concentrate on the pattern
making methods

e.g rosettes, borders, lattice, dihedrons etc even if it containsd the
dreaded maths.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

What you're trying to describe sounds like "(chip carving" - Try
Googling "chip carving" and see if it's what you're looking for.

As a beginner, you might want to visit: http://www.chipchats.org/

John Kopf

Henry[_2_] December 18th 08 01:07 AM

Source of Geometric Drawing Tut's or books

Basic Chip Carving - Pam Gresham - $14.95 at www.woodcraft.com
The Complete Guide to Chip Carving - Wayne Barton - $17.95 at www.woodcraft.com
14.95 at
www.barnesandnoble.com
Chip Carver's Workbook - Dennis Moor - $14.95 at www.woodcraft.com

Imphal December 18th 08 10:01 PM

"Imphal" wrote in message
Hi,

Just getting into chip carving, I'm atracted by the geometric layouts (not
being very artistic to say the least)

Can anyone point me to tutorials or books regarding the making of patterns
i.e

compass/paper, CAD etc

I'm not after projects/plans and I have bought a couple of books, but good
as they are for learning to carve, I want to concentrate on the pattern
making methods

e.g rosettes, borders, lattice, dihedrons etc even if it containsd the
dreaded maths.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you for your pointers I've taken up both of them in that Chipchats
sems very useful over the longer term, and I've ordered Wayne Bartons book
from the amazon market place.

One place I did find from googling around was
http://www.carvingpatterns.com/pattern-work.htm
Its just the thing I'm looking for with the use of pos and neg spaces
showing how many variations you can get from one simple layout.
From my point of view its just what I'm after as I can draw them very easily
and precisely in my CAD package.

Thanks again for the pointers, I've already started on my own patterns
(based on snowflakes) for a practice carved and line inlay box.