CraftBanter

-   -   Gutermann thread (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=92636)

grammykathy February 18th 08 03:32 PM

Gutermann thread

Could someone tell me what this is for!!! I got a box of different
colors as a gift and they are still in their little box. Can this be
used for quilt pieceing and quilting or what. Ya, can you tell I am
still new at this.

GrammyKathy

Karen, Queen of Squishies February 18th 08 03:50 PM

Gutermann thread

They make all kinds of thread, Kathy.
http://www.redrockthreads.com/gutermann-thread/
Does yours have any writing on it?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Kate XXXXXX February 18th 08 04:41 PM

Gutermann thread

grammykathy wrote:
Could someone tell me what this is for!!! I got a box of different
colors as a gift and they are still in their little box. Can this be
used for quilt pieceing and quilting or what. Ya, can you tell I am
still new at this.

GrammyKathy

It depends what type of Gutterman it is... If it's their All Purpose
Sewing Thread, then yes, though it IS polyester and I'm not keen on it
for piecing (that's just personal choice). If it's their cotton thread,
use it for either piecing or quilting. They also do silk thread, which
I use mostly in silk garment construction, a waxed cotton hand quilting
thread, embroidery thread, Topstitching thread (which is thicker) and
serger threads... Take a look at your reels: the different types of
thread are on different coloured reels, and are also labelled on the ends.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Pati C. February 18th 08 04:56 PM

Gutermann thread

The only problem with using polyester thread to piece with is that the
melt temperature is lower than cotton. If you are using a really hot
iron, with fairly long pressing time you are liable to melt the
polyester thread. G Not what you want to do at all.

Pati, in Phx whose first quilts were pieced with poly serger thread. VBG

grammykathy February 18th 08 05:24 PM

Gutermann thread/ Karen, Queen of Squishies

On Feb 18, 9:50*am, "Karen, Queen of Squishies" hicall80 @ mchsi.com
wrote:
They make all kinds of thread, Kathy.http://www.redrockthreads.com/gutermann-thread/
Does yours have any writing on it?

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......
I hope you dance

Could someone tell me what this is for!!! *I got a box of different
colors as a gift and they are still in their little box. *Can this be
used for quilt pieceing and quilting or what. *Ya, can you tell I am
still new at this.

GrammyKathy- Hide quoted text -

It says Gutermann Sew-All thread 100% Long Stael Polyester Does that
help?

grammykathy February 18th 08 05:29 PM

Gutermann thread/ Kate

On Feb 18, 10:41*am, Kate XXXXXX
wrote:
grammykathy wrote:
[...]

Kate *XXXXXX *R.C.T.Q Madame Chef des Trolls
Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttonshttp://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Kate it IS Polyester. So what should I do with it. No wonder I got it
as a gift. LOL

GrammyKathy

Lenore L February 18th 08 07:42 PM

Gutermann thread

Gutermann is an excellent thread. Is it cotton or polyester. I'm sort of a
thread snob and only use cotton with cotton.

Sewing machines will purr with Gutermann!

Lenore

Lizzy Taylor February 18th 08 08:29 PM

Gutermann thread

Kate XXXXXX wrote:

It depends what type of Gutterman it is... If it's their All Purpose
Sewing Thread, then yes, though it IS polyester and I'm not keen on it
for piecing (that's just personal choice). If it's their cotton
thread, use it for either piecing or quilting.

So far I haven't managed to melt Gutermann Sew-All (poly thread) with my
hot setting on the iron. Drima (thread of the devil) is another matter
as I learnt many years ago when DD was small - I melted all the
top-stitching on a pleated bodice on a dress I made for her :(

Lizzy

Lizzy Taylor February 18th 08 08:32 PM

Gutermann thread/ Kate

grammykathy wrote:

Kate it IS Polyester. So what should I do with it. No wonder I got it
as a gift. LOL

Sew with it - it works just fine in my experience.

Lizzy

nzlstar*[_2_] February 18th 08 09:02 PM

Gutermann thread/ Kate

i use polyester for basting quilts or for EPP basting,
both those come out and are tossed in the bin.
also for sewing curtains or pillows that arent cotton patchwork of course. :)
j.