CraftBanter

-   General Crafting (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Have you read _Straight_ by Dick Francis? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108200)

Joy Beeson March 26th 10 11:19 PM

Have you read _Straight_ by Dick Francis?

_Straight_
Dick Francis
copyright 1989

_Straight_ is the story of a steeplechase jockey who unexpectedly
finds himself managing a jewel business.

I enjoyed the story very much, and was impressed by the sudden death
-- the jockey's brother wasn't murdered, and didn't die in an
automobile crash. It's rare for a mystery writer to be aware that
there are more than two causes of death.

A week or so after reading it, I wondered: Francis is noted for
getting the world of horse-racing exactly right, but did he do the
same for the world of wholesale jewelry? Two semi-precious stone
dealers lead the acknowledgements page, but research is seldom enough.
I didn't sniff any lamp oil while I was reading, but I don't know
anything about beads and gems.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net