CraftBanter

-   Jewelry (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help identifying antique jewelry (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=104487)

Chris Shearer Cooper August 16th 09 03:52 AM

Help identifying antique jewelry

I know this isn't quite the right forum, but I'm hoping either someone
here can help me, or at least point me in the right direction.

I've discovered an old photo that is probably my grandfather as a
young man (aged probably about 10):
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this photo, one thing that
has me stumped is the lapel pin, chain, and pin on his pocket that is
the letters CE.
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Pocket.png
Are these three items (pin, chain, pin) probably all one piece of
jewelry? What would these be called? Any idea why his pin says CE
(his initials are WCJ so that's not it)?

It's been suggested maybe this is a confirmation photo, and CE stands
for Christian Education. Where can I go to learn more about antique/
vintage jewelry, and find out what this all means?

Thanks,
Chris

1 Lucky Texan August 16th 09 06:33 PM

Help identifying antique jewelry

On Aug 15, 9:52 pm, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:
[...]

maybe Church of England?

William Black August 16th 09 06:34 PM

Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:

I know this isn't quite the right forum, but I'm hoping either someone
here can help me, or at least point me in the right direction.

I've discovered an old photo that is probably my grandfather as a
young man (aged probably about 10):
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Portrait.png

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this photo, one thing that
has me stumped is the lapel pin, chain, and pin on his pocket that is
the letters CE.
http://www.sc3.net/Clifford/Pocket.png
Are these three items (pin, chain, pin) probably all one piece of
jewelry? What would these be called? Any idea why his pin says CE
(his initials are WCJ so that's not it)?

It's been suggested maybe this is a confirmation photo, and CE stands
for Christian Education. Where can I go to learn more about antique/
vintage jewelry, and find out what this all means?

The lapel pin and chain are almost certainly for a watch.

I wore one of this style when I was a school-boy forty to fifty years
ago as I tended to break wrist watches..

--
William Black

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
If you can fake that, you've got it made.

robynahawk August 17th 09 12:53 AM

Help identifying antique jewelry

On Aug 15, 7:52*pm, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:

[...]

While I am not sure what the CE means - this Victorian Watch Fob
should give you an idea as to what the jewelry is...the button could
connect to a watch, a pocket knife or a crucifix - he sure is a dapper
young man!

A victorian gentlemans watch fob
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/atwink...e/item/CC-3172

Robyn Hawk

William Black August 17th 09 09:43 AM

wrote:

[...]

The watch chain and fob illustrated isn't for a 'top pocket' as shown in
the original photograph, it's for a waistcoat, I wear one myself,
although far less ornate.

The 'T-bar' is what goes through the special vertical button hole in the
waistcoat.

The knife is unusual, it would more likely have been a cigar cutter on
this sort of fob, of perhaps a golden coin, I use a gold sovereign.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.

Chris Shearer Cooper August 17th 09 09:44 AM

Help identifying antique jewelry

CE is definitely Christian Endeavor, someone on eBay is selling a
similar pin. I've emailed the modern-day Christian Endeavor group to
see if they have records from that time period.

So the lapel pin, and the chain coming from it, are probably not
connected to the pocket pin, right?

Chris

Abrasha August 20th 09 05:49 AM

Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
CE is definitely Christian Endeavor, someone on eBay is selling a
similar pin. I've emailed the modern-day Christian Endeavor group to
see if they have records from that time period.

So the lapel pin, and the chain coming from it, are probably not
connected to the pocket pin, right?

Chris

Right. Especially since the chain seems to disappear BEHIND the
handkerchief in the pocket.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com