CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Colors (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1109)

Lee S. Billings August 22nd 03 11:57 PM

Colors

In article ,
says...

sorry - i couldn't find the right thread.

Celine:
go to this pictu
http://www.hnn.navy.mil/Archives/030...bs/firenew.jpg

look at the fire truck in the background.
Jamie looks at those trucks, and says "green"
I see that truck and say "yellow"

Heh. I know the color you're thinking of, and I call it "Neon Chartreuse"! It's
more yellow than green, but partakes of both.

Lines on the highway are "yellow" to me as well, though they're a little to the
orange side. But that could be conditioning, as Driver's Ed taught me to think
of them as "yellow lines".

Celine

--
Handmade jewelry at http://www.rubylane.com/shops/starcat
"Only the powers of evil claim that doing good is boring."

Arondelle August 23rd 03 12:40 AM

vj wrote:

sorry - i couldn't find the right thread.

Celine:
go to this pictu
http://www.hnn.navy.mil/Archives/030...bs/firenew.jpg

look at the fire truck in the background.
Jamie looks at those trucks, and says "green"
I see that truck and say "yellow"

she got so frustrated, she called her uncle [the firefighter] and
asked "what color those fire trucks are painted" and he laughed and
said, "RED".

i admit, there are greenish tinges to the "neon yellow" they paint the
fire trucks in Sacramento, but the basic color is yellow.
the lines in the road? she sees "orange" and i see "yellow".

The official name of that color is Hi-vis (as in "high visability") Green.

Theoretically, Hi-vis Green is a better color for emergency equipment
because it's easier to see at dusk and at night. Reds turn to black in
low light conditions where this neon yellow-green does not.
Unfortunately, people still equate red with emergencies, and fail to get
out of the way of the green trucks.

Arondelle
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is
better than not to think at all." - Hypatia of Alexandria

"People who believe they have all the answers have stopped
asking questions." - Marx Stead of Canton, OH
Visit Arondelle's Dream Worlds at: http://www.arondelle.com
Read my Blog: http://www.angelfire.com/blog/arondelle/index.html

Arondelle August 23rd 03 01:09 AM

which is why so many fire departments are going back to RED. because
that's what "littles" are taught in school. but the fire fighters
here did call it yellow.

I dunno, me. It looks like green to me! ;-)

Dr. Sooz August 23rd 03 02:28 AM

Unfortunately, people still equate red with emergencies, and fail to get
out of the way of the green trucks.

People fail to get out of the way of any trucks. A siren goes off, a truck is
barreling down on them, and they just drive along, la-di-dah. What boobs.
~~
Sooz
-------
I don't really like sex anymore. I have jewelry now. ~ Heidi Fleiss
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A through Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Dr. Sooz August 23rd 03 02:30 AM

If you were mixing the color from paints, you'd use more yellow than green in
it. That's why it's seen as yellow.

but the fire fighters
here did call it yellow.

~~
Sooz
-------

Carol in SLC August 24th 03 06:30 AM

Jamie looks at those trucks, and says "green"
I see that truck and say "yellow"

I'd say the truck is green, too (chartreuse, really) - and the firefighter is
wearing yellow. And I think the lines painted in the roads are orange.
Hmmm?

Carol in SLC
New jewelry: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/hillrose.jpg

Carol in SLC August 24th 03 06:33 AM