CraftBanter

-   Needlework (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   USA Copyright do's and don't info found (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=99493)

J. H. T./B.D.P. December 5th 08 07:14 AM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

There was a post[s] that was talking about chart copying
and some were not sure of what was allowed. I found
this after following a link here about something else.

Maybe not of as much interest to "older" crafters,
but might be for newer crafters who are not sure

http://www.dragondreams.ca/CopyrightPoster.jpg

Cheryl Isaak December 5th 08 11:39 AM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

On 12/5/08 2:14 AM, in article Mx4_k.2592$yK5.907@edtnps82, "J. H.
T./B.D.P." wrote:

There was a post[s] that was talking about chart copying
and some were not sure of what was allowed. I found
this after following a link here about something else.

Maybe not of as much interest to "older" crafters,
but might be for newer crafters who are not sure

http://www.dragondreams.ca/CopyrightPoster.jpg

I've seen that before - should have thought to send it along myself.

But - what about the stitch diagrams? Are those part of the copyright?

Cheryl

Dawne Peterson December 5th 08 06:01 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I've seen that before - should have thought to send it along myself.

But - what about the stitch diagrams? Are those part of the copyright?

Cheryl

My understanding is that you cannot claim intellectual property rights in
the way a stitch is done, but a diagram is a work of an individual, and so
that person can claim intellectual property rights in that depiction. You
can't claim to have rights over the French knot, which has been done by many
people for a long time, but you could copyright your written instructions or
your illustration of how it is done. If they are in a book or chart, the
copyright of the publication would extend to them.

Dawne

ellice December 5th 08 09:49 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

On 12/5/08 1:01 PM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I've seen that before - should have thought to send it along myself.

But - what about the stitch diagrams? Are those part of the copyright?

Cheryl

My understanding is that you cannot claim intellectual property rights in
the way a stitch is done, but a diagram is a work of an individual, and so
that person can claim intellectual property rights in that depiction. You
can't claim to have rights over the French knot, which has been done by many
people for a long time, but you could copyright your written instructions or
your illustration of how it is done. If they are in a book or chart, the
copyright of the publication would extend to them.

Dawne

Well put, Dawne. That's exactly what I was taught, and what has been
published to the trade asso. Members - at least TNNA did one some years ago
for the designers (full members). There are some well known designers that
are particularly picky about their diagrams - and they should be. It takes
a fair amount of work to do a nice diagram - beyond what a charting program
just pops up.

Ellice

Dawne Peterson December 6th 08 06:19 AM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

"ellice"
Well put, Dawne. That's exactly what I was taught, and what has been
published to the trade asso. Members - at least TNNA did one some years
ago
for the designers (full members). There are some well known designers
that
are particularly picky about their diagrams - and they should be. It
takes
a fair amount of work to do a nice diagram - beyond what a charting
program
just pops up.

I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Dawne

anne December 6th 08 01:00 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

says...
I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Amen to that, sister! Who(m?)ever did the diagrams for the Elsa Williams and
Erica Wilson, (should that be Elsa Wilson/Erica Williams?) kits and books
deserve sainthood ;-)
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Cheryl Isaak December 6th 08 03:07 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

On 12/6/08 8:00 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Amen to that, sister! Who(m?)ever did the diagrams for the Elsa Williams and
Erica Wilson, (should that be Elsa Wilson/Erica Williams?) kits and books
deserve sainthood ;-)

Agreed - completely.

And the ones that make those one diagrams that make backstitching look hard
should be flogged with well licked floss.

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) December 6th 08 03:21 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/6/08 8:00 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Amen to that, sister! Who(m?)ever did the diagrams for the Elsa Williams and
Erica Wilson, (should that be Elsa Wilson/Erica Williams?) kits and books
deserve sainthood ;-)

Agreed - completely.

And the ones that make those one diagrams that make backstitching look hard
should be flogged with well licked floss.

Maureen hates half-stitches (whatever they are) and I can always tell
when she is sewing a pattern that involves them because the air is often
quite blue!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

Dawne Peterson December 7th 08 06:03 AM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

"anne" wrote
says...
I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some
don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Amen to that, sister! Who(m?)ever did the diagrams for the Elsa Williams
and
Erica Wilson, (should that be Elsa Wilson/Erica Williams?) kits and books
deserve sainthood ;-)
--

I cherish my copy of Erica Wilson's Embroidery Book. You are right, good
diagrams you can actually learn a stitch from.

Dawne

ellice December 7th 08 08:18 PM

USA Copyright do's and don't info found

On 12/6/08 1:19 AM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"ellice"
Well put, Dawne. That's exactly what I was taught, and what has been
published to the trade asso. Members - at least TNNA did one some years
ago
for the designers (full members). There are some well known designers
that
are particularly picky about their diagrams - and they should be. It
takes
a fair amount of work to do a nice diagram - beyond what a charting
program
just pops up.

I have found that a stitch diagram can make all the difference--some don't
really help, but the right one gives that aha moment.

Dawne

So true. Some years ago I took a sampler class done with a Just Nan
teaching piece. The diagrams - fabulous. And I remembered learning then
about the copyright issues/protection on stitch diagrams from the LNS owner.

Having been teaching a lot of late, I really note that with doing commercial
designs. It's interesting seeing some pieces that the designer has just
indicated the stitch to be done, with either no diagram or a really bad one
- and it's up to me to do a clear one. A piece I taught last year - the
diagrams for some stitches were so bad - all the threads in the center of
the block (it was a largish Rhodes) looked like a big blob - and there are
over 20 legs in this particular one. Plus, the designer had mislabeled the
beginning number. Nice.

I often go to reference books to verify stitches. OTOH, doing stitch
diagrams is a bit time consuming but the important part in trying to do an
original design to be taught.

Ellice