CraftBanter

-   Knots (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best rope to use (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13588)

fid October 1st 04 06:38 AM

Best rope to use

I like to tie a lot of the nautical knots and splices in ABOK. I've
been using nylon since this is about all I can get around here. Can
anyone suggest better materials and where to find them?

Also, any ideas on how to display just a few knots (like turk's heads,
etc.) on their own?

Thanks for the input. Keep on tying.

Dan Lehman October 2nd 04 06:47 AM

(fid) wrote:

I like to tie a lot of the nautical knots and splices in ABOK. I've
been using nylon since this is about all I can get around here. Can
anyone suggest better materials and where to find them?

"around here" = where?
For doing 3-strand splicing, it might help to have rope in which
each strand was a different color; polypropylene rope might come
like this, but it'll take some looking (or make your own, getting
three diff.-colored same-sized ropes, unlaying the re-laying them,
using PP's *memory* of twist to keep things sane (whereas e.g.
you'd loose too much of the twist from nylon or polyester)).

Were you aiming to employ your skills to some purpose, you'd want
whatever rope was relevant to that (which might not be the easiest
to work with--hard laid vs. soft, e.g.). And if you're interested
in learning about knots, you should see how they perform in a variety
of materials.

As for decorative work, others can provide good recommendations of
materials & sources.

Cheers,
--dl*
====

Brian Grimley October 2nd 04 03:07 PM

(fid) wrote

I like to tie a lot of the nautical knots and splices in ABOK. I've
been using nylon since this is about all I can get around here. Can
anyone suggest better materials and where to find them?

Also, any ideas on how to display just a few knots (like turk's heads,
etc.) on their own?

I bought some 3/8 and 1/2 inch, three strand manila rope at a farmer's
supply store. The lay of the rope is fairly firm.

When I concentrated on keeping the lay of the rope firm and even as I
tyed a knot, I learned a lot about what happens to a rope as a knot is
tyed. This was not obvious to me when I tyed a knot in 1/4" soft nylon
cord. Very Interesting. Taking turns "with the lay" of the 3-strand
rope, when tying a knot, is easiest and I think that Ashley's
directions and graphics reflect this. (Three strand natural fiber rope
was dominate when Ashley wrote his great book.)

I agree with Dan, "And if you're interested in learning about knots,
you should see how they perform in a variety of materials."

Displaying knots? I always look at knot website for ideas (I'm no
expert). For example, I check out the walls of the "De Hoop IGKT
Meeting" shown by Andre at his site he
http://www.dsv.nl/~salmaj/ .

Hope this helps - Brian.