PDA

View Full Version : Re: kiln question

Clayslinger
August 5th 03, 03:53 AM
Don't know about Duncans but mine is a top loader also (name escapes me at
the moment - brain freeze!). It gets VERY hot when firing and in fact I
burnt a hole through a winter coat sleeve last winter. My old kiln, I could
lift the metal peep hole covers no problem with a pair of oven mitts or a
cloth. Tried it with the new kiln a burnt the sleeve to my finger (ouch). My
kilns are in my garage ( not attached to the house) and the kids are not
allowed in there when they are firing, nor do I work in there. No venting
and the heat!!!!!! Plus I am afraid of burning myself. I have never worried
about extra insulation as they work fine as they are and take about 5 hours
for a ^06 bisque and about 9 or 10 hours for ^6. Cool down in about 12 to 15
hours - still hot but unloadable.

Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

Sometimes we just need to remember what the rules of life
really are... You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and
shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Google